Thursday, August 09, 2007

Teapot #2 - Dr. Seuss Revisited

Dr. Seuss Revisited
Kitchen Series
9" x 9"
Oil on Reclaimed Panel with Painted Sides
$225

Or click here to email me about Dr Seuss Teapot.

This is one of a set of 6 kitchen paintings - contact me to see all 6
They are available as a group for $950 with free shipping.

I call it "Dr. Seuss Revisited" because it's kind of wonky and very colorful. It is painted on a 3/4" board, which is a very traditional medium, and besides I had some laying around :) The white lines on the upper portion of the painting are reflections from the grain in the wood.

It was done very quickly because I spent the vast majority of my day working on a commission - it's very large 30" x 40" and quite different from my usual work. Hopefully I will show you when it is finished and after it has been presented to the recipient.

If you want to use wood as a support for oil paintings, first put a couple good coats of gesso on it before the oil paints. Oil will deteriorate wood, so make sure you protect it. If you don't want to use gesso, and you're not creating 'archival' artwork, you can just paint it with a good latex paint or primer. If you want to paint in acrylics, you don't have to prime it first, but it does make the paint go on easier.

When I am at my easel painting, I carry on imaginary conversations with you - "See how I fixed that mistake?" or "This is a good way to . . . . " but when I am finally done with the day, and get a chance to sit down and write, I go completely blank - "Here is my painting, it is in oil, it is a teapot" LOL

Maybe it's because I know many of you personally, and I don't want to sound pretentious.

But, here is one thing I thought about while I was painting today - If you'd like to do something a little different with a still life or object, try what I did with this teapot. Set your object or still life up on some brightly colored backgrounds. They can be harmonious, or complementary. I like the purple and orange combination, but then I like purple with just about any other color.

The backgrounds can be fabric, construction paper, or as I used, some art foam stuff that they use for making stamps. The colors reflect onto the subject and add interest and more of a challenge to paint.

Til next time . . . .

Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your taking time to comment on my paintings! Thanks for your interest and feedback. - Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...