Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Oskar Black German Shepherd K-9 Portrait

OSKAR
Black German Shepherd
South Carolina
Oil on Panel
4" x 6"

From his partner - "Oskar is a 2 year old black German Shepherd that was imported from Slovokia. His is trained in narcotics detection, tracking, article recovery and patrol work. We have been partners since May 2008. Today we have accounted for 9 arrests, 4 vehicle seizures, about $6000.00 cash and various amounts of drugs, to include several pounds of marijuana. We look forward to putting more bad guys in jail and make our world a safer place."

Thank you so much! We appreciate your efforts!

A few weeks ago, I showed you the beginning of Oskar's portrait. Actually, it wasn't the very beginning because I painted the entire portrait then wiped it out, because I just didn't like it. I started over, and you saw the sketch that I did - but it wasn't right either, you can see that he is too short and his head is proportionately too large - but at least his feet were in the right place :)

So, I wiped it out AGAIN and started for the (hopefully) final time. I'm pleased with how it turned out. In response to those who have asked to see the reference photos, it is below. I don't like posting reference photos because I feel that the painting should stand on its own merits and also that sometimes I am so close to the original that some think I actually trace. Those of you who have watched me paint live know that is definitely not the case. It is just trial and error, replacing those bits that don't look 'right' and refining as you go along until you are happy with it.

.I'm going to see if I can get some more work done tonight, so maybe I'll have something to show you tomorrow.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. - Maria Robinson

As always - live creatively!!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your taking time to comment on my paintings! Thanks for your interest and feedback. - Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...