Monday, September 28, 2009

Relic #2 - Summers Past


Summers Past
Relic #2
6"x8"
Oil on Canvas
Framed to Match Relic #1
$275

Or click here to email me about Summers Past Relic #2 Doorknob.

As I was painting this, I thought of the many summers this doorknob saw, long before internet, dvds and video games. Kids running in for lemonade, adults sitting out on the porch to talk while teens eavesdropped by the side of the house. June bugs like this one flew and batted themselves against the screen door. The doorknob has survived for many, many years and the June bug only for a week or two.

This doorknob is a relic from a house that was destroyed by fire almost 100 years ago. The house is vaguely visible in the background of the painting.

On a more technical note, these two doorknob paintings were done from a still-life I set up on the final day of Qiang's workshop. I have had a few comments that the recent paintings are not my usual style. I'm not sure if I'll keep doing the 'dramatic' still lifes, I might try some with a more colorful background. - what's your opinion?

The previous Relic painting was from a photograph that I took of the doorknob before I left the studio. The set-up was a bit different which was evident in the differences in the shadows. I like this one where you can see the keyhole in the shadow.

We had only a few hours left before we would pack our paints and head to our homes. The assignment was to paint anything we wanted. Theresa had a bowl of old metal and pottery remnants from the home that preceeded the B&B. So, I left the studio and while everyone else was setting up pretty bowls, fruit & flowers (OH GOD NO MORE FLOWERS) I looked for something in her collection that was of more interest to me. On my way back to the group with my treasure, I found the June bug outside on the wooden steps by the kitchen door.

This painting is actually the one I painted from life at the workshop - but greatly improved. I had the light set up too close to my canvas, artificially increasing the visibility of the painting. After I finished original painting and removed the light, the painting lost all definition and became way too dark. It was also hampered by my attempting to paint using Qiang's technique of almost all grays and neutrals, and it turned out too colorless for me. If I could find a good photo of the 'before' I'd share it with you, but I don't seem to have one.

So, tonight, I lightened up the background and added a lot more color and definition and I really like the resulting painting. What do you think? (be sure to look at the larger version)

Live Creatively!

Liz




No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your taking time to comment on my paintings! Thanks for your interest and feedback. - Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...