Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Kitchen Series - Mixer & Dog of the Day - JB the Scottie


Mix it Up!
Kitchen Series - Kitchenaid Mixer
9" x 9"
Oil on Reclaimed Panel

Or click here to email me about Mix It Up Kitchenaid Mixer.

This is one of a set of 6 kitchen paintings - contact me to see all 6
They are available as a group for $950 with free shipping.

I am really happy with this painting. It was a challenge to get the reflections in the bowl, and of course, I made the color pop quite a bit more than it did in real life. The part that I didn't like was the mixer body, because it is a flat blue color. Fortunately, there are enough reflections in it to add some depth. I have used this mixer for 20 years, and it's a bit scratched and not as shiny as it used to be. I think it makes a great center of interest for my still life :)

Not sure if I'm going to leave the background that color, I think I'd like it better if it was bright orange - the complement of blue. In these 'fun' paintings, I like to do things a bit more dramatically than I do in my commissioned work.

Technical note - when I paint the 4"x 6" paintings, I prepare the masonite panel by sanding, priming, sanding, gessoing, sanding and then painting with a couple coats of shellac. This makes a very slick finish that allows me to manipulate the paints immediately. The painting today was done on a plywood panel that had been primed and gessoed. Gesso is very very matte finish. The paint does not glide, it sticks like glue and gets sucked in . . . it was horrible!! I took my remaining 10"x10" panels and coated them with about 3 layers of shellac tonight, so the next one I paint won't be so frustrating!

It's so nice to be back painting and productive again. Hope you're enjoying the artwork!

Today's Dog Painting

(click to enlarge)

JB

Scottish Terrier
4"x6"
Oil on Panel

I have a collector who has been commissioning paintings from me for years - just about from the time I started. He has one of my first paintings, and I'd really like to get it back and fix it up LOL. I painted this as a gift to him. It is one of his many Scotties that he has rescued and takes such extensive care of. I hope I come back reincarnated as one of his dogs! He does so much for the dogs, he deserves this!

The painting is signed, but the website copyright appears only on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your taking time to comment on my paintings! Thanks for your interest and feedback. - Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...